Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Hello, small world!

Howdy to all!

Mucho gusto!

This is my first crack at a blog. As many of my teachers and professors over the years would attest, I have never been one to write essays or diaries for the sake of it. While I may be verbose, the only way that I can really write is to let it flow and not plan something so much. This probably comes from knowing that once I really start writing something, it will take quite awhile to finish my thoughts. Concise, I am not... which you will quickly learn I suppose. Sorry (not really).

Yet, here I am.

So, why am I here anyway? For that matter, why are any of us here? I suppose we are here on this blog to learn a bit about each other. In the philosophic sense, we are here together on this blue marble floating along because it would be lonely otherwise. We constantly run across each other creating small ripples in each other's respective lives. Truly, this blog could be called the 'Skipping Pebble' because once it hits the lake on the first, second or last bounce, the lake is never the same.

And neither are we the same when we are splashed by that first bounce of the pebble.

Most likely my first splash of the pebble came when my wife and I travelled on vacation to Peru. This will be something that I will blog about later, but I was affected by the need to connect to local peoples of the world on an individual level. I have found it challenging not to want to personally know everyone I come across and I particularly want to know their culture, their heritage, their story, how their food smells and tastes, why they follow certain traditions, and what they worry about and hope for. This has to be just the start to me.

Well, as things have a way of happening, I was eventually called for my life's true vocation to be a lay missionary. God sure has a sense of humor because I remember explicitly telling my wife 7 or 8 years ago that I wanted to be involved locally within my community, but not necessarily with my church. Guess who was wrong there?!?

So my wife and I have been involved in short-term lay missionary work in Guatemala since 2003. Additionally, we have been involved in various ecumenical and secular outreach programs since 1998. I would consider these an alternatively or locally located missionary experiences. Without a doubt, each step along the way in being involved in various outreach projects was in preparation for more interesting things down the line. I just wish that I knew what was next.

Likewise, everyone that I have met along the way has been someone to aid me in my journey. These individuals have become many of my closest friends for which I care deeply. Ergo, I also wish that I knew who I would next meet in this journey so I can prepare my 'thank you note' for them in advance.

Thus, in the time ahead, I will be blogging on my experiences as a missionary. Hopefully, this will be mildly entertaining so that you will join me on this journey of adrenaline, joy, sadness and hope.

Come along on the ride as my co-missionary and I hope that you can contribute your thoughts along the way. Because if I know one thing, I don't want to be alone on this journey as with whom would I be able share my experience.

No comments: