Wednesday, May 30, 2007

When in Guatemala, watch out for crazy gringos!

This will be a relatively, brief post this evening as I am trying out a new thing by posting a video on YouTube and then embedding the video below.

Wow - look Ma, no hands!!! It's one of those moments. ;)

So here's the goofy setup, since you will probably be scratching your head wondering why I found this relevant enough to be my first video posted online.

Since we are such happy, go-lucky missionaries in the morning and afternoons in Guatemala and being that the weather is often so beautiful, we often like to pull back the windows on our van to let in the fresh breeze. Well, the go-lucky part of us always like to wave at the people that we see from the road with an "Hola" in the morning and an "Adios" in the afternoon.

Remarkably, the people wave back and reply likewise. I'm sure that they all think we're big goobers, but it's part of the fun.

In any case, since we have been doing this for so long and the indigenous people know that we are in the aldeas (communities), they always get ready with a wave and an "Adios" as we depart for the day on the road. The three girls walking along in this video were expecting the same thing as I passed by. They just didn't realize that I was the last of the gringos that day. Instead that instinctively gave a wave and an "Adios" to their friend who happened to be bicycling along behind us.

I suppose that he was for a moment, an honorary crazy gringo!

To see more videos as they get loaded, check out my YouTube page.

Also, feel free to add a comment here on the blog or on the YouTube page to express your concern with my sanity!

No comments: