Friday, July 13, 2007

Finding four younger siblings in Guatemala

I have learned from my previous mission trips about the value in a diverse mix of people in planning the team. In particular, I am always on the lookout for teenagers and young adults to join the mission team - the "ninos" (children en Espanol).

Let's be real - I may be on the lookout, but the ninos always seem to fine me through the grace of the Holy Spirit. And this team has been no different.

All four ninos on this team are people that just independently expressed an interest in the mission team (thanks, Anna!). The great thing about the ninos that respond to the call of mission is how they are completely unaware of how they are being used to provide perspective and richness to the entire mission team. Many times, due to the considerable difference in age, the ninos do not understand how much they are valued as equal team members, but by the end of the trip, this becomes ever so clear.

The other side of having the ninos on the team is how much fun they bring. I feel lucky to always connect to them and build relationships that grow into friendships over the years. (On that note, Beck & Andrea, I can't believe that I was unable to catch you for coffee before I left to GT.)

So the ninos that have affected me include, but not limited to my first little sis, Michelle, as well as Raymundo (El Presidente), Andrea K, Andrea R, Beck, and Patricio. By the way, Patrick - your two espousas are still waiting for you from last year. :) And they really do remember you!

Even better, this year, I have added four new siblings to my extended family. Being that each of these four ninos are Prince of Peace parishioners, I feel especially blessed to know that I will be able to see them all the more often. Adam and Frankie as well as "dos ninas loco" (Vicki and Nathis). They are truly my buds and my little brothers and sisters. I care for each of them so greatly that I can only be assure that the mission trip would be greatly diminished without them.

Tomorrow afternoon, I will go shopping with mi hermanos y hermanas and I'm certain that we will have a good time being one big family.

~*~*~*~*~

Goofing around in Chicabracan:

Frankie should know better than to sleep on the bus! Ha!

No comments: